Thanks Peter.  It works with read.delim.

David: Thanks for your comments.  To answer your questions.  I don't have
'NA' and all balanced.  The number of mssing levels were 4 and it happened
only to those four levels.  Yes, there is commas embedded and some
characters (e.g., '-', space, some wired characters in the middle of names,
etc.).  I can send you sample data if you are willing to take a look.  Even
though using 'read.delim' works, I am still curious what caused the problem
and potential problem that I may miss.

Thanks again,

SH