Dear Sarah,

It's generally a good idea to include a reproducible example if you want to get
help with a problem, but in this case it's a safe bet that the problem is that
the model you specified has no variance or covariance parameters for the
variables x1 and x2, which, I assume, you mean to be exogenous. The easiest way
to include these variances and covariance in the model is to specify the
argument fixed.x=c("x1", "x2") in the call to sem().

In addition:

(1) Your model is fully recursive (guessing that all the x's and y's are
observed variables), and so it amounts to four OLS regressions. You could just
use lm() to fit the model.

(2) It's generally easier in the sem package to use specifyEquations() than
specifyModel() for model specification.

(3) If you have the original data set, as you do, it's generally preferable to
use the data argument to sem() than to pass it the covariance matrix for the
observed variables.

I hope that this helps,
 John

John Fox