One of the great frustrations for a newbie to R is the documentation uses the same syntax in its description as the items it is trying to describe, a general no-no when giving language definitions. Why does the documentation not include the equation being represented by the function, thereby clarifying what the function is doing??

That gripe aside, can anyone explain to me what the rate of change (ROC) function in the TTR package is doing? I have run it on a set of returns and I cannot reverse engineer what it is calculating. Also, what is the difference between the discrete and the continuous types?? Thanks.

wizardchef