On Nov 16, 2014, at 5:54 PM, Ernie Stokely wrote:

> One of the great frustrations for a newbie to R is the documentation uses the
> same syntax in its description as the items it is trying to describe, a
> general no-no when giving language definitions. Why does the documentation
> not include the equation being represented by the function, thereby
> clarifying what the function is doing??

If you have issues with the documentation of non-recommended packages, you
should address them to the maintainer. There is a maintainer function:

[1] "Joshua Ulrich <josh.m.ulr...@gmail.com>"

> That gripe aside, can anyone explain to me what the rate of change (ROC)
> function in the TTR package is doing? I have run it on a set of returns and I
> cannot reverse engineer what it is calculating. Also, what is the difference
> between the discrete and the continuous types?? Thanks.

It's rather simple to look at the code. Just type:

TTR::ROC

> wizardchef

Reading the code is considered an important first step in answering such
questions.

--

David Winsemius
Alameda, CA, USA