On Wed, 24 Dec 2014, Jeff Newmiller wrote:

On December 24, 2014 6:49:47 PM PST, Mike Miller <mbmille...@gmail.com> wrote:

On Wed, 24 Dec 2014, Mike Miller wrote:

Also, regarding the sacred text, "x A numeric." is a bit terse. The same text later refers to length(x), so I suspect that "A numeric" is

short for "A numeric vector", but that might not mean "a vector of 'numeric' type."

I just realized that numeric type includes integer so that anything of type integer also is type numeric. I'm working on another message.

But all numeric types in R are vectors. So although it might be a good idea to be redundant to aid beginners, the phrase "a numeric" is accurate.

Interesting, but the data seem to contradict your theory. Here are two examples, one with a numeric matrix, the other with a numeric array, and both of them run in ave().

x <- matrix(1:4, 2,2)

is.numeric(x)
[1] TRUE

is.vector(x)
[1] FALSE

ave(x, gl(2,2))
     [,1] [,2]
[1,]  1.5  3.5
[2,]  1.5  3.5

x <- as.array(1:4)

is.numeric(x)
[1] TRUE

is.vector(x)
[1] FALSE

ave(x, gl(2,2))
[1] 1.5 1.5 3.5 3.5

So maybe slightly more documentation for ave() would be helpful even for non-beginners like yourself.

Thanks.

Mike

--
Michael B. Miller, Ph.D.