Dear Eric, Ivan & Rui

Thanks all for your suggestions. FWIW, I've opted to use paste0 and after a bit of playing around found it formatted the output nicely.

Eric, I wasn't aware of sprintf - seems a handy function to format text with, so will try to remember that.
Ivan, I'll dig into 'message' a little more, so that's a good one to know.
Rui, I liked the idea of the output vector and indexing - that will be useful for longer/ more complicated branching

Thank you all again.

Best wishes
Andrew