Dear Eberhard,

On 2021-01-12 9:41 a.m., Dr Eberhard W Lisse wrote:
John,

maybe I misunderestimate the students :-)-O but there is not much
sophistication required to follow simple instructions while thinking
about what one is doing when doing so.  At least that was my generation
of students did.

If they can install XQuartz, they can install the command line tools.

In my experience, mostly with social-science undergraduates and graduate students, the more steps an installation requires, the more likely students will encounter difficulties. Your students may well have a different level of computer sophistication than mine did, but I know that my experience isn't unique.

And, it's not about RCmdr but about the source packages that you may
want to have to install for which the command line tools are required.

Right. But all of the packages on which the Rcmdr package depends have Mac binaries. As I confirmed yesterday, one can install the Rcmdr and its dependencies on macOS without building any packages from source.

Finally, RStudio is so much easier and more powerful, that I wonder why
one is bothering with this including XQuartz.

Because I think you underestimate the obstacle that working at the command line presents to students who often are already struggling to learn basic statistical concepts. In my, and others', experience, it's easier for students at this level to work with a statistical GUI than to write commands. While working n RStudio or another IDE is undoubtedly more powerful, for them it certainly isn't easier. Your teaching experiences may be different.

Best,
 John

greetings, el