What puzzles me is why you are not just using
lapply(some.data.frame, min)
lapply(some.data.frame, max)
or as.vector(lapply(...))
Why go to another package for this?
Is it the indices you want?

col.min.indices <- function (some.data.frame) {
    v <- sapply(some.data.frame, function (column)
           which(column == min(column))[1])
    names(v) <- colnames(some.data.frame)
}