Returning to the old question ...

On Sat, Jul 12, 2008 at 1:34 AM, Wolfgang Huber <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> > do.call("[", list(x,1,2,TRUE))
> [1]  3  9 15 21
>
> See also http://134.148.236.121/R/help/06/01/19403.html

This is the Something Clever I thought of, but it's actually not the same as
x[1,2,] : TRUE is a (recycled) logical index ... but what is the "nothing"
after the second comma and before the closing ] ?

as.list(quote(x[]))
is.name(quote(x[])[[3]])

.. it seems to be an empty name (``) but there seems to be no way to
construct it other than something like quote(x[])[[3]] or alist(,)[[1]] --
but this is sufficient to rewrite Richard's subsetArray function without
using parse:

sa2 <- function(x, Subset, Eval=TRUE) {
    Subset <- lapply(Subset, function(x) if(length(x)==1 & all(is.na(x)))
alist(,)[[1]] else x)
    ex <- quote(x[])
    Tail <- 3:(2+length(Subset))
    ex[Tail] <- Subset
    if(Eval) eval(ex) else ex
    }

This is more general than subsetArray because "Subset" can be a list -- to
allow thing like x[1:10,,c(3,9,7)] to be "translated".

... And a replacement function:

`sa2<-` <- function(x, Subset, value){
    ex <- sa2(x, Subset, Eval = FALSE)
    ex[[1]] <- `[<-`
    ex$value <- value
    eval(ex)
    }

... and some related discoveries:

> is.name(alist(,)[[1]])
[1] TRUE
> X<-alist(,)[[1]]
> is.name(X)
Error: argument "X" is missing, with no default
> dump("X","")
X <-
quote()
> X<-quote()
Error in quote() : 0 arguments passed to 'quote' which requires 1
> as.character(X)
Error: argument "X" is missing, with no default
> as.character(alist(,)[[1]])
[1] ""

Kenn