For value labels, factor() provides the necessary machinery. For variable
labels, one could make use of comment() (something that not too many people
seem to know about). To illustrate:

# look at the mtcars dataset
mtcars

# turn 'am' into a factor and use labels for the two possible levels thereof
mtcars$am <- factor(mtcars$am, levels=c(0,1), labels=c("automatic","manual"))
mtcars

# add a variable label via comment()
comment(mtcars$am) <- "Type of transmission"

# extract all the variable labels
sapply(mtcars, comment)

Best,
Wolfgang