"If you want a much more compact solution that handles arbitrary pairs of
"what to copy", number_of_copies, you can write a function  that evaluates
two arguments at a time or takes two vectors as arguments like this one I
wrote quickly and crudely:"

Please! -- The "times" argument of rep can be a vector that does exactly this:

times
an integer-valued vector giving the (non-negative) number of times to
repeat each element if of length length(x), or to repeat the whole
vector if of length 1.

In future, please read the Help files carefully before dispensing such "advice."

-- Bert