Bert,

You need to consider LHS vs RHS functionality.

Before I start, I would have done your example setup lie this:

trio <- 1:3
z <- data.frame(a = trio, b = letters[trio])

Just kidding!

Syntactic sugar means you are calling this function:

> `names<-`
function (x, value)  .Primitive("names<-")

Not particularly documented is a gimmick I just tried of supplying a second
argument to the more routine function version:

> `names<-`(z, c("one","two"))
  one two
1   1   a
2   2   b
3   3   c

The above does not change z, but returns a new DF with new names.

In a pipeline, try this:

z <-
  z |>
  `names<-`( c("one","two"))