Wow!
Yes, this is very clever -- way too clever for me -- and meets my
criteria for a solution.

I think it's also another piece of evidence of why piping in base R is
not suited for complex/nested assignments, as discussed in Deepayan's
response.

Maybe someone could offer a better Tidydata piping solution just for
completeness?

Best,
Bert