I've checked the function code and the error is returned form the following:

if (rss.qr$rank < ncol(resid))
    stop(gettextf("residuals have rank %d < %d", rss.qr$rank, ncol(resid)),
domain=NA)

I read this as " If the Residual sums of squares $ rank ... " whatever that
is " is less than the number of columns of residuals, then give me an
error".

Thanks

--
Gareth Campbell