> Well, I am going to type in ever value because the data sheets are of
> counts of insects that I identified, so I should be okay with
> accuracy...  I really just need something that allows for more than
> 256 columns as I have encounter over 256 species of insects in even
> small streams. ...

Oh, ugh, that sounds difficult and prone to entry errors.  You might be
better off organizing in the 'long' format with 4-5 columns:
    siteID, subSiteID, species, count, comments

You can then reshape(), or use the reshape package, or even the 'pivot
table' available in excel and other spreadcheats.

Glad you have an answer.  Enjoy your day.
cur
--
Curt Seeliger, Data Ranger
Raytheon Information Services - Contractor to ORD

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote on 10/20/2008 06:01:43 PM:

> Well, I am going to type in ever value because the data sheets are of
> counts of insects that I identified, so I should be okay with
> accuracy...  I really just need something that allows for more than
> 256 columns as I have encounter over 256 species of insects in even
> small streams.  I think calc with it's 1000ish columns will do the
> trick... thanks everbody for your help.
>
> On Mon, Oct 20, 2008 at 8:25 PM, Gabor Grothendieck
> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > There is a list of free spreadsheets with their row and column limits
> > at this link:
> > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/OpenOffice.org_Calc
> >
> > On Mon, Oct 20, 2008 at 3:13 PM, stephen sefick <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:
> >> sorry excel 2003 with no immediate update in the future.

Mullis

> org/posting-guide.html
> >>>>

> >> --
> >> Stephen Sefick
> >> Research Scientist
> >> Southeastern Natural Sciences Academy
> >>
> >> Let's not spend our time and resources thinking about things that are
> >> so little or so large that all they really do for us is puff us up
and
> >> make us feel like gods.  We are mammals, and have not exhausted the
> >> annoying little problems of being mammals.
> >>
> >>                                                                -K.
Mullis