Most likely this is a bug in your pdf viewer: try turning off anti-aliasing there (or use a better viewer, if that is not an option). It is a symptom of anti-aliasing of the rectangles used to plot image pixels.

You haven't told us which 'a pdf device' and there are several for R, depending on the OS. pdf() does not do this, nor does cairo_pdf().
Some of the third-party devices did last time I looked.