On 25/03/2009, at 12:09 PM, Frank E Harrell Jr wrote:

        <snip>

(2) Scrolling down to ``Byar and Green prostate cancer data'' appeared
to get
me to the right place. But I couldn't see any signs of any ``R binary
files''.

Please look again.  It's under the heading "R".  Unfortunately I used
.sav suffix for save() files in the old days.

        Ah-ha.  Oh me of little faith.  I have been hanging around (in
        my current work environment) with too many SPSS users, and the
        *.sav extension seems to be the standard for SPSS data files.
        Whence my corrupted thinking.

The .xls fine opened with no problem in OpenOffice; has 506 rows.

        Hmmm.  When I opened it with Excel on the Mac I got a spread
        sheet with 503 rows --- the first row being the column names,
        so there were really 502 rows.

        And 502 rows was what I got when I saved the *.xls file as a
        *.csv file and then read that in.

        Also, when I followed Phil Spector's excellent advice and
        loaded prostate.sav from the website, using load(), I ***again***
        got a data frame of 502 rows.  This data frame is (modulo some
        classes and attributes) identical with what I got from reading
        from the *.csv file.

        Where have the other four rows gone?  Ravi Varadhan also observed
        this phenomenon.

                cheers,

                        Rolf