Ravi Varadhan wrote:
Fine detective work, David. Now, you can see the reasons for my frustration - multiplicity of data sets combined with non-existent documentation of the source of data in journal articles (e.g. Kay 1986; Lunn and McNeil 1995).
Best,
Ravi.

Yes that is a big frustration for me, even for projects for which I was the principal statistician in 1990 for which I did a poor job of archiving excellent medical datasets for future use. This is a big advertisement for the reproducible research movement.

David - fantastic job. Based on what you found, the version on our web site looks as good as any. Now if someone can explain to me why you see a spike near a serum prostate acid phosphatase (AP) value of 1 when you use a flexible regression model (e.g., restricted cubic spline) to relate AP to the log hazard of death in a survival model (see p. 518 in my book), that would be very helpful.

If you do with(prostate,plot(supsmu(log(ap),1*(status!='alive')))) you see a minimum at ap=2.37 after anti-logging. If you do

dd <- datadist(prostate); options(datadist='dd')
f <- cph(Surv(dtime,status!='alive') ~ rcs(log(ap),6), data=prostate)
plot(f)

you see a sharp minimum at ap=1.43. With 4 knots the min is a 1.18. You have to go to 3 knots to get a monotonic fit in log(ap) but AIC is not as good.

Frank

Ravi Varadhan, Ph.D.
Assistant Professor,
School of Medicine