Am 22.Apr.2009 um 17:21 schrieb Dimitri Liakhovitski:

Why do you use save()?
Can't you write out data frame(s) with your variables in a .txt or a
.csv file and then read in just the variable names?

I could, but ...

As save() writes a binary (and by default compressed) format that is not

... the files I look at now have a size of around 875MB (and this is after compression of the binary format) - text files (even compressed) are usually bigger.

But while this question arose from these files, it is the structure of the files I am after.

Benno