Am 22.Apr.2009 um 21:45 schrieb Duncan Temple Lang:

> Hi Benno et al.
>
> I have had some code for reading RDA files via R functions
> and binary connections. It is available from
>
>   http://www.omegahat.org/RDA
>
> or
>   install.packages("RDA", repos = "http://www.omegahat.org/R";,
>                      dep = TRUE)
>
> It could be made faster if there is interest.
>
> One of the motivations was to allow Spotlight on the mac
> be able to index R files. In the future, I might create
> an extended RDA format that puts the table of contents
> at the end of the file and so we could look that up
> directly as well as append new objects to the file.
> And there are other good things we might do.
> But we might be better off using a zip file as
> a container for individually serialized objects. We
> could deserialize these directly from the file without
> having to unzip them.
>
>  Anyway, hope this helps somewhat
>
>    D.

Duncan,

Thanks a  lot!

After some further investigation in the organization of the R
hierarchy and the interplay of GUI and manual installation on my Mac I
just got to compile and load everthing.

This is pretty much what I was looking for - it is however, as you
already seem to indicate, a bit slow. It took several minutes for a 10
MB file ...
I'll time the big files at the office tomorrow.

So, if you think about improving speed, I'd be looking forward to it.

On the other hand, if you are already considering an overhaul of the
format that would have a faster readout as a byproduct, I'd happily
wait for that.

Benno