Daryl Morris wrote:
Hello,
I have written my own very simple package. On an Apple, I was able to run through the "R CMD build" and "R CMD check" successfully. I have also installed the package, and successfully loaded the library on my Apple.

This package is written entirely in R and requires no compilation.

I am trying to move the package to a Windows machine.

I (perhaps naively) thought, given that it contains no code requiring compilation, that I should just be able to take the .tar.gz file and directly install it in Windows. This didn't work. Nor did "translating' the contents of the .tar.gz file into a .zip file.

I was about to provide the errors, but more googling on this issue suggests that maybe what I'm trying to do is impossible.

Do I really have to "build" on a Windows box ... even when the package requires no compilation? Is there no simple translation tool available for this case?

You need to INSTALL a source package (that has been build) as on any other platform. How to colect the tools in order to make R CMD INSTALL work under Windows (and other OSs) is described in the R Installation and Administration manual.

Best,
Uwe Ligges

thank you, Daryl
U. Washington Biostatistics