Hi,

I'm running wine-1.0.1, OpenBUGS 3.0.3, R 2.9.0, and R2WinBUGS on a Redhat
Enterprise Linux machine.

Following various peoples' suggestions...

This works perfectly (yay!): wine Z:/opt/OpenBUGS/winbugs.exe

Within R, however, I get this:

(setup the example from ?bugs, then....)

R> schools.sim <- bugs(data, inits, parameters, model.file, n.chains=3,
n.iter=5000,bugs.directory="Z:/opt/OpenBUGS/")
Error in file(con, "rb") : cannot open the connection
In addition: Warning message:
In file(con, "rb") :
  cannot open file
'/home/harlan/.wine/dosdevices/z:/opt/OpenBUGS//System/Rsrc/Registry.odc':
No such file or directory
Error in bugs.run(n.burnin, bugs.directory, WINE = WINE, useWINE = useWINE,
:
  WinBUGS executable does not exist in
/home/harlan/.wine/dosdevices/z:/opt/OpenBUGS/

Trying to figure out these path issues:

> ls /home/harlan/.wine/dosdevices/z:/opt/OpenBUGS/
BackBUGS.lnk     Compare    Docu      Graph         Lindev
Ole                Randnumseeds.odc  Std      Updater
brugs.dll        Correl     Doodle    Host          Manuals
OpenBUGS.zip       Ranks             Summary  Win
brugs.so         Dev        Examples  Html          Maps
Plots              Samples           System   winbugs.exe
Bugs             Developer  Form      libtaucs.dll  Math
randnumseeds0.bmp  Script.odc        Test     Xhtml
classicbugs.exe  Deviance   GeoBUGS   Lin           Monitors
Randnumseeds.html  Spatial           Text

> ls /home/harlan/.wine/dosdevices/z:/opt/OpenBUGS//System/Rsrc/Registry.odc
ls: /home/harlan/.wine/dosdevices/z:/opt/OpenBUGS//System/Rsrc/Registry.odc:
No such file or directory

So, the warning message is correct, but the error is not. winbugs.exe
clearly exists, and I'd expect bugs.run to find it...

If I add "program="openbugs"", then I get the warning to install BRugs,
which no longer exists. (But it's not clear if that's necessary.)

Is it possible to make this work?

If not, I'm extremely thankful that I can use Bugs under Wine, but I'd
really prefer to use the R interface if possible!

Thank you for any guidance!

 -Harlan