Harlan Harris wrote:
Uwe, thanks for helping! After some poking around, I realized that the
problem was that I had installed OpenBUGS instead of WinBUGS. I did an
additional installation of WinBUGS, which also runs fine under Wine, and now
everything seems to work! Thanks!

To clarify: both the OpenBUGS and WinBUGS distributions run nicely under
Linux/Wine. However, despite the fact that R2WinBUGS 2.1-14 claims (in
?bugs) it can run both OpenBUGS and WinBUGS, this does not seem to be true
under Linux/Wine. Only WinBUGS currently works with R2WinBUGS, at least for
me.

This is because BRugs (the interface R2WinBUGS requires for OpenBUGS) simply does not work under (most) non-Windows operating systems.

Best,
Uwe

(I did figure out how to use CODA export from Win/OpenBUGS and the coda
package to import into R, but it's a bit tedious...)

 -Harlan