On Fri, 17 Jul 2009, escher2079 wrote:

Thanks for your suggestions, they were quite helpful. I've just about solved
the problem, but now I just need to know where the additional arguments
passed through '...' are stored (in order to make my own matching scheme I
need to be able to change the value of those to the correct values upon
entering the function as well). Thanks!

I did not follow that.

But I might guess that you do not grok what

        mf <- eval(mf, parent.frame())

is doing in lm(). If so, then you _really_ need to spend some time working that through before attempting a customized argument matching scheme.

In any case, the suggestion to "provide commented, minimal, self-contained, reproducible code" is often helpful to folks who read this list in showing what you intend and provides a basis for discussion - even if your code is incomplete or doesn't do quite what you want it to do.

HTH,

Chuck

Charles C. Berry wrote:

I think you'll need to dig into sys.call() and match.call() and put
together your own matching scheme to force a function to first match by
position and then match all else by name.

If match.call() is unfamiliar to you, it is advised to read the first 10
lines of lm().

HTH,

Chuck

p.s. every argument that comes AFTER '...' in the formals must match
exactly. Perhaps this would help you.

                                            Dept of Family/Preventive Medicine
E mailto:cbe...@tajo.ucsd.edu               UC San Diego