On Fri, 17 Jul 2009, escher2079 wrote:

Fair enough. I'm not going to post all the code because it's distracting, but
the following example function is demonstrative of the problem:

exfun<-function(...){
print(x)
}

I'm aware that leaving making the only inputs additional arguments is bad
form, but this is merely an example. So here if I call exfun as follows:

exfun(x=2)

I get "Error in print(x) : object 'x' not found". I guess this makes sense
since the additional arguments aren't really meant to be used like that, but
what I would like to know is how I would access the variable passed in the
additional arguments in exfun given that I know the name (which I can access
through sys.call). I hope that was helpful :/. Thanks!

Well, I am still not convinced that you have worked through the code in lm and understand what it is doing.

I would use

        sc <- sys.call()

and then work on sc in the same way that lm works on mf to produce the model.frame that it passes to model.matrix()

Note to other readers: the list(...) idiom isn't really appropriate here as escher's (original) request was to be able to work around partial matching issues when named args are used BEFORE ... in the formals of a function and calls are constructed that rely on position taking precedence over partial matches in ... .

HTH,

Chuck

Charles C. Berry wrote:

I did not follow that.

But I might guess that you do not grok what

        mf <- eval(mf, parent.frame())

is doing in lm(). If so, then you _really_ need to spend some time working
that through before attempting a customized argument matching scheme.

In any case, the suggestion to "provide commented, minimal,
self-contained, reproducible code" is often helpful to folks who read this
list in showing what you intend and provides a basis for discussion - even
if your code is incomplete or doesn't do quite what you want it to do.

HTH,

Chuck

                                            Dept of Family/Preventive Medicine
E mailto:cbe...@tajo.ucsd.edu               UC San Diego