Sylvester's formula (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sylvester%27s_formula) applies to a square matrix A = S L solve(S), where L = a diagonal matrix and S = matrix of eigenvectors. Let "f" be an analytic function [for which f(A) is well defined]. Then f(A) = S f(L) solve(S).

We can code this as follows:

sylvester <- function(x, f){
 n <- nrow(x)
 eig <- eigen(x)
 vi <- solve(eig$vectors)
 with(eig, (vectors * rep(f(values), each=n)) %*% vi)
}

logm <- function(x)sylvester(x, log)

Example:

A <- matrix(1:4, 2)
eA <- expm(A)
logm(eA)

With Chuck Berry's example, we get the following:

M <- matrix( c(0,1,0,0), 2 )
sylvester(M, log)
Error in solve.default(eig$vectors) : system is computationally singular: reciprocal condition number = 1.00208e-292

This is a perfectly sensible answer in this case. We get the same result from "sylvester(M, exp)", though "expm(M)" works fine.

A better algorithm for this could be obtains by studying the code for "expm" in the Matrix package and the references in the associated help page.

Hope this helps. Spencer

Gabor Grothendieck wrote:
Often one uses matrix logarithms on symmetric positive definite
matrices so the assumption of being symmetric is sufficient in many
cases.