On Sat, 26 Sep 2009, spencerg wrote:

Sylvester's formula (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sylvester%27s_formula) applies to a square matrix A = S L solve(S), where L = a diagonal matrix and S = matrix of eigenvectors. Let "f" be an analytic function [for which f(A) is well defined]. Then f(A) = S f(L) solve(S). We can code this as follows:
sylvester <- function(x, f){
 n <- nrow(x)
 eig <- eigen(x)
 vi <- solve(eig$vectors)
 with(eig, (vectors * rep(f(values), each=n)) %*% vi)
}

logm <- function(x)sylvester(x, log)

Example:
A <- matrix(1:4, 2)
eA <- expm(A)
logm(eA)

With Chuck Berry's example, we get the following:
M <- matrix( c(0,1,0,0), 2 )
sylvester(M, log)

The case I gave would be

        sylvester( as.matrix( expm( M ) ), log )

for which the perfectly sensible answer is M,  not what appears here:

Error in solve.default(eig$vectors) :
 system is computationally singular: reciprocal condition number =
 1.00208e-292

This is a perfectly sensible answer in this case. We get the same result from "sylvester(M, exp)", though "expm(M)" works fine. A better algorithm for this could be obtains by studying the code for "expm" in the Matrix package and the references in the associated help page.

I doubt that code already in R will handle cases requiring Jordan blocks for evaluation of the matrix logarithm (which cases arise in the context of discrete state, continuous time Markov chains) without requiring one to built that code more or less from scratch.

I'd be happy to hear that this is not so.

HTH,

Chuck

     Hope this helps. Spencer

Gabor Grothendieck wrote:
 Often one uses matrix logarithms on symmetric positive definite
 matrices so the assumption of being symmetric is sufficient in many
 cases.

 On Sat, Sep 26, 2009 at 7:28 PM, Charles C. Berry <cbe...@tajo.ucsd.edu>
 wrote:

> > >  M <- matrix(c(2, 1, 1, 2), 2); M
> >  [1,]    2    1
> >  [2,]    1    2
>  with Jordan blocks.
> > HTH, > > Chuck > > > > > > > # log of expm(M) is original matrix M
> > >  with(eigen(expm(M)), vectors %*% diag(log(values)) %*% t(vectors))
> >  [1,]    2    1
> >  [2,]    1    2
> > >                                             Dept of Family/Preventive
> > >  Medicine
> > >  E mailto:cbe...@tajo.ucsd.edu               UC San Diego
> > >  http://famprevmed.ucsd.edu/faculty/cberry/  La Jolla, San Diego
> > >  92093-0901
> >  http://www.R-project.org/posting-guide.html
> >  and provide commented, minimal, self-contained, reproducible code.
>                                             Dept of Family/Preventive
>  Medicine
>  E mailto:cbe...@tajo.ucsd.edu               UC San Diego
> http://famprevmed.ucsd.edu/faculty/cberry/ La Jolla, San Diego > 92093-0901 > > >