Hi

is there an alternative to par(new), for ading data to a plot for a
different y-axis?
My problem with par(new=TRUE) is, that it re-defines all axis and labels (as
in example 1) and one has to use xlim=... to fix the x-axis.
I am looking for something, which simply resets the y-axis, so that a new
plot() (or points()/lines()) keeps the x-axis, but re-defines the y-axis.

Is there something available? I could re-scale the y-data to fit the
existing y-axis, but that would mean to define all the labels and tickmarks
for axis 4 manually.

HEre is an example about what I mean:

x1 <- 1:10
y1 <- runif(10)
x2 <- 1:11
y2 <- c(y1*100, 0)

## (1) Does not plot points where (x-axis) they should be
plot(x1, y1, type="l")
par(new=TRUE)
plot(x2, y2, type="p")
axis(4)

## (2) Does plot points where (x-axis) they should be
xlim <- range(x1)
plot(x1, y1, type="l", xlim=xlim)
par(new=TRUE)
plot(x2, y2, type="p", xlim=xlim)
axis(4)

Cheers,

Rainer
UCT), Dipl. Phys. (Germany)

Natural Sciences Building
Office Suite 2039
Stellenbosch University
Main Campus, Merriman Avenue
Stellenbosch
South Africa

Cell:           +27 - (0)83 9479 042
Fax:            +27 - (0)86 516 2782
Fax:            +49 - (0)721 151 334 888
email:          rai...@krugs.de

Skype:          RMkrug
Google:         r.m.k...@gmail.com