Hi I am running some linear and non-linear mixed effect models and would like
to do some planned contrasts (a priori contrasts)

I have looked in the help and in many forums and it seems possible to do so but
don't understand how to write the function and I couldn't find an example in
Pinheiro and Bates.

 lme {nlme} has a  contrasts argument but I can't understand how to code it.

Here is a simple example of my working lme model:
dependent variable: APHIDS: log (number of aphids)
Fixed effects: DAY (time)   and  TREATMENT ( 6 different aphid treatments)
Random effects: POPULATION (each population is counted through time)

lme.fit<-lme(log(APHIDS)~ DAY*TREATMENT, random = ~ DAY|
POPULATION,data= aphid.data)

My hypothesis testing focuses on comparing Treatments ~ 1 and 4 , and
eventually 2 vs 5, and 3 vs 6.

Q1:  How can I do planned contrasts on these pairs for the main effect of
TREATMENT?

Q2: Can I also do this for the interaction term (DAY*TREATMENT)?

Q3: Would this code work for a non-linear mixed effect model    nlme( )

P.S. Even just posting a personal example or a link to one would be greatly
appreciated.

thanks for the help

these forums are incredibly helpful

Martin Turcotte