On 07/04/2010 02:10, Felix Andrews wrote:
> On 6 April 2010 20:14, Luigi Ponti <lpo...@inbox.com> wrote:

>>> The correct approach would be along the lines of
>>>
>>> bwplot(count ~ spray, data = InsectSprays,
>>>        groups = spray,
>>>        panel = panel.superpose,
>>>        panel.groups = panel.violin,
>>>        col = MyPalette)
>>>
>>> (unlike panel.xyplot etc., panel.bwplot does not explicitly handle
>>> grouping).
>>>

>> Thanks! This way I get violin plots colored in the correct order.
>> However, I lose control on panel.violin -- not sure if/how I can regain
>> that (i.e., the stuff the was done by the panel = function(){} above).
>>

> Your previous 'panel' function could now be passed as 'panel.groups'
> (see ?panel.superpose); alternatively, if you have a simple panel
> function you can pass arguments to it directly through the main call
> to bwplot().

Thanks for the hint, Felix: the following code makes it but (don't know
why) the median dots disappear.

bwplot(count ~ spray, data = InsectSprays,
       groups = spray,
       panel = panel.superpose,
       panel.groups =  function(..., box.ratio) {
            panel.violin(...,
                         varwidth = FALSE, box.ratio = box.ratio, cut = 0)
            panel.bwplot(..., box.ratio = .1)
        },
        fill = MyPalette
)

I tried to change box.dot parameter to no avail. Not sure what is going
on here. It would appear that the panel.groups = function(){} is not
sure where to read graphical parameters from (just guessing). It would
be interesting to know your opinion.

>> Also, I have noticed that violin plots extend beyond the data range: is
>> this the default behavior? In ?panel.violin and ?density, I read that
>> default parameters should allow "the estimated density to drop to
>> approximately zero at the extremes". For example, the minimum value of
>> the "count" variable (data = InsectSprays) is zero, but the violin plots
>> do extend below zero. Am I missing something?
>>

> help("density") says:
>     by default, the values of 'from' and 'to' are 'cut' bandwidths
> beyond the extremes of the data.
>
> and the default value of 'cut' is 3.
> Therefore if you want to limit the density to the data range, pass cut = 0.

Sorry, I misinterpreted the text -- my fault. I set cut = 0 (see code
above) and now it works as expected.

Thanks again and regards,

Luigi