Tengfei Yin wrote:
Hi dear all

I am currently using Ubuntu 9.10 (karmic) and R 2.10, I can find a R release
that support "karmic" in cran under ubuntu directory, I plan to update my
laptop to Ubuntu 10.04 after April 30, since I have to use some new features
or new version in it, e.g. QT 4.6,  I don't know if there is going to be a R
release that will support this newly released Ubuntu?

Thanks

Best wishes

Tengfei
a) Applications don't "support" distros... it is the other way around. A distro may introduce improvements, but it is generally considered a bug for POSIX-compliant distros to upgrade in a manner that leaves existing application software unable to run (though it may in some cases need to be recompiled).

b) Since the quality of support depends on users like you trying it out and reporting bugs and/or patches, your best bet is to try it and report any problems you encounter. (I often upgrade by loading the new OS into a separate partition... but that is more as assurance that the OS itself will be stable, rather than due to concern about existing applications.)

c) This mailing list topic is on using the R software. The correct forum for helping (or observing progress of others) with Debian packages of R (used on Ubuntu distro) is