Hi Jeff,

Thanks for elucidating and suggestions, I realized I should email the debian
mailing list right after I posted here in 'help', sorry for that, then I did
get quick response on that mailing list, they told me the distro for Ubuntu
10.04 will be released in couple days, right now, I could upgrade my R to
2.11 and then upgrade my system to Lucid.

Thanks again for your suggestions!

Best

Tengfei

On Tue, Apr 27, 2010 at 11:20 AM, Jeff Newmiller
<jdnew...@dcn.davis.ca.us>wrote:

> Tengfei Yin wrote:
>
>> Hi dear all
>>
>> I am currently using Ubuntu 9.10 (karmic) and R 2.10, I can find a R
>> release
>> that support "karmic" in cran under ubuntu directory, I plan to update my
>> laptop to Ubuntu 10.04 after April 30, since I have to use some new
>> features
>> or new version in it, e.g. QT 4.6,  I don't know if there is going to be a
>> release that will support this newly released Ubuntu?
>>
>> Thanks
>>
>> Best wishes
>>
>> Tengfei
>>

> a) Applications don't "support" distros... it is the other way around. A
> distro may introduce improvements, but it is generally considered a bug for
> POSIX-compliant distros to upgrade in a manner that leaves existing
> application software unable to run (though it may in some cases need to be
> recompiled).
>
> b) Since the quality of support depends on users like you trying it out and
> reporting bugs and/or patches, your best bet is to try it and report any
> problems you encounter. (I often upgrade by loading the new OS into a
> separate partition... but that is more as assurance that the OS itself will
> be stable, rather than due to concern about existing applications.)
>
> c) This mailing list topic is on using the R software. The correct forum
> for helping (or observing progress of others) with Debian packages of R
> (used on Ubuntu distro) is

Tengfei Yin
MCDB PhD student
1620 Howe Hall, 2274,