Thanks Jim but I've tried the method but it didnt work.

Space separates the columns so when I pass

x <- read.csv("test.txt",sep=",")

it reads and prints ok but gives the wrong dim

x <- dim(x)
[1] 9 1

when the dim(x) should be 9 3

Muhammad

jim holtman wrote:
What is the delimiter between the columns? If it is a tab/comma, then read.table will handle it. If as your example shows, the missing data is just a space, then you will have to have some code that cleans up the data, For example a single space is replaced by a single comma, two spaces replaced by two commas, ... Then read.csv should handle it fine.