On May 6, 2010, at 12:10 PM, Muhammad Rahiz wrote:

Hi all,

I have a file, say, test.txt, which contains the following information. I'm trying to read in the file and specifying the missing values as NA so that each column has the same number of rows.

I've tried all sorts of manipulation but to no avail.

r1 r2 r3
1   3
2   3
3 2 3
4 2 3
5 2 3
6 2 3
7 2
8 2
9 2 3

If you rplace the "," between the header labels with "\t" then read.fwf will do it:

> read.fwf(textConnection("r1\tr2\tr3
+ 1   3
+ 2   3
+ 3 2 3
+ 4 2 3
+ 5 2 3
+ 6 2 3
+ 7 2
+ 8 2
+ 9 2 3"), header=TRUE, widths=c(1,-1,1,-1,1) )

  r1 r2 r3
1  1 NA  3
2  2 NA  3
3  3  2  3