On 13.05.2010 16:32, Felipe Carrillo wrote:

From: Duncan Murdoch<murdoch.dun...@gmail.com>
To: "Shi, Tao"<shida...@yahoo.com>
Cc: r-help@r-project.org
Sent: Wed, May 12, 2010 1:40:50 PM
Subject: Re: [R] a question about "latex" in Hmisc

On 12/05/2010 4:33 PM, Shi, Tao wrote:
Hi Ista,

Thanks
for the reply!

You actually misunderstood me.  I never
objected the "tmp<- latex(x)" method (in fact, that's what I'm doing now in
my .Rnw file).  As I stated in my original post, I'm simply curious about
what causes the error window and wanted to get to the bottom of
it.

latex(x) returns an object of class "latex".  When
you don't assign it, it prints.  The print method for "latex" objects tries
to run latex and then display the resulting .dvi file.  (Or maybe it runs
pdflatex and displays the .pdf file).

If you can't run latex, you can't
print those objects.  That's why you're getting an error.

Duncan
Murdoch

PLEASE do read the posting
guide http://www.R-project.org/posting-guide.html
and provide commented,
minimal, self-contained, reproducible code.