<snip>
Notice that I didn't quite get my function into the Hmisc environment
and that is why you need the awkward phrase
    show.dvi(dvi(x.tex <- latex(x)))
instead of the smooth phrase
    latex(x)

Somehow with my own data and not using the awkward bit, it worked on my Linux machine? At least I thought it did, since I believe show.dvi is an exported function, can't you just overwrite it in your global environment and anything that calls it will use your copy? I'll have to look into how I got your code working on my system, because I know I didn't use that trick!

--Erik