Could you specify the package you use? If it is mgcv, this one centers your
variables before applying the smooths. That's something to take into account
when comparing different models.

In any way, If scales are too different, I try rescaling by either :
expressing things in different units (meter versus kilometer, gr)

On Wed, May 19, 2010 at 10:37 AM, Lucia Rueda <lucia.ru...@ba.ieo.es> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> We are analizing the relationship between the abundance of groupers in line
> transects and some variables. We are using the quasipoisson distribution.
> Do
> we need to include the length of the transects as an offset if they all
> have
> the same length??
>
> Also, can we include in the gam models variables that are measured at
> different spatial scales? We have done an analysis to see what variables
> are
> better for different sizes of buffers around the transect lines and some
> variables are better at different scales. Can we run the gam model with
> several explanatory variables if they are measured at different spatial
> scales?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Lucia

Joris Meys