Thank you for the correction. I was thinking about the difference of using a
variable with a smoother, and comparing that to a model with that variable
without smoother. I should specify that I mostly use thin plate regression
splines.

If the spline itself is not deviating from linearity, you get a nice
straight line going through the point (mean(Data),0) if you look at the
marginal plots. Use the same variable unchanged but as a simple linear
effect in the model, and the same line will run through (0,0). At least,
that's what I noticed and also the reason why I center my variables first.
The models are essentially the same, the shift is mainly in the intercept.
But the centering got a bit a reflex.

Cheers
Joris

--