On May 29, 2010, at 8:11 AM, dunner wrote:

Thanks to both of you,

I used the below code instead, which has been cleaned and pruned a little. It produces a trellis of qq plots with the proper annotations as per Minitab from a dataframe passed to mtab.matrix(). However, I can't get individual variable names (these are column names in the passed dataframe) to annotate the plots. Perhaps "apply" simply doesn't deal with the colname and I have
to try a completely different method?

apply takes a column and passes it as a vector. I think it still has a name but perhaps not a colname. Getting the name of a passed object sometimes requires working with substitute(deparse(x)). Not sure what paste() would be doing when you are only processing one vector at a time.

Or will apply pass enough information
to the included function (mtab.norm) to allow me to annotate the plot?
Again, I'm probably missing something banal and wholly obvious.

mtab.norm<-function(x){
library(nortest)
library(lattice)
x<-as.numeric(x)
x<-as.vector(x)
plot.ht<-4.6
plot.wd<-4.6
pt.ht=plot.ht/7
txt.sz<-(plot.ht/5)
qqnorm(x, pch=16, cex=pt.ht, col="darkorange", xlab=paste(colnames(x)),
ylab='', main='')
qqline(x, col="black", lty=2)
grid(col = "darkgrey", lty=2)
st.x<-shapiro.test(x)
mtext(paste("Shapiro-Wilks", "\n p =",signif(st.x $p.value,digits=4),"\n W
=",signif(st.x$statistic,digits=4)), line=1, cex=txt.sz, adj=0)
adt.x<-ad.test(x)
mtext(paste("Anderson-Darling", "\n p =",signif(adt.x $p.value,digits=4), "\n
W =", signif(adt.x$statistic,digits=4)), line=1, cex=txt.sz, adj=1)}

mtab.matrix<-function(z){
pdf(file=paste(colnames(z)[1],".pdf"), paper="a4r", width=0, height=0)
par(mfcol=c(3,3), mar=c(5.1,4.1,5.1,2.1))
par(bg="white")
apply(z, 2, mtab.norm)
dev.off()}

Thanks again for all your help. I am obviously a relative beginner, but an
enthusiast!

Dr. Ross Dunne,
HRB Clinical Research Fellow,
Dept. of Psychiatry, Trinity College Dublin.

David Winsemius, MD
West Hartford, CT