Hi Anita,

I have to correct myself too, I've been rambling a bit. Off course you don't
delete the variable out of the interaction term when you test the main
effect. What I said earlier didn't really make any sense.

That testing a main effect without removing the interaction term is has a
tricky interpretation. By removing a main effect you test full model  A + B
+ A:B against the model A + A:B.  If you remove the main effect "Zoop" for
example, you basically nest Zoop within Diversity and test whether that's
not worse than the full model. This explains it very well:

https://stat.ethz.ch/pipermail/r-help/2010-March/230280.html

I'd go for type II, but you're free to test any hypothesis you want.

Cheers
Joris

--
Joris Meys