Hi,

I want to do 2-dimentional loess smoothing in gam through the command

gam(Y~lo(X1,X2,span=span,degree=1) )

in library "gam".

The span is the percentage of data points to define the neighborhood and used
for the smoothing.

Does this command do one 2-dimentional smoothing with neighboring defined
according to the radius of the data point || X=(X1,X2) ||, or it does two
1-dimentional smoothing which smooths X1, X2 separately?

I'm actually doing spatial smoothing with longitude and latitude, so I need the
2-dimentional smoothing so the results won't depend on the coordinate values.

Thanks a lot!!!

Best,
Yijie Zhou