Dear All,

  I  have a data as follows:

  ID <- 1:100
  Y <- rnorm(100)
  X <- rnorm(100)
  type <- as.factor(rep(1:3,100,time=1))
  df <- as.data.frame(cbind(ID, Y,X,type))

  I want to plot Y versus X  by specifying the pch to be as follows:

  Subjects having type = 1 must be plotted with a character pch =  "A"
  Subjects having type = 2 must be plotted with a pch =  "B"
  Subjects having type = 3 must be plotted with a pch =  21

  I used the follwomg:

  df$pch_type = recode(df$type, "1 = 'A'; 2 = 'B'; else = '21' " )
  plot(df$Y,df$X,pch= df$pch_type)
  This  plots subjects for type 1 and 2 with  symbols A and B (this is what
expected) however subjects with type = 3 are plotted with a charcater 2 instead
of a pch=21. I understand that this is due to the fact that the created vector
"type_pch" cannot be a mixture between characters and numerics ... I tried to
use a list for that purpsoe but fail...

  Any suggestions would be grateful,

  Many thanks,

  Bernard