The following will work, but I would suggest that you redesign your
functions so that they do not use 'globals';  It is not nice for functions
to have side-effects.

g_Means<-numeric()

defineSamples<- function()
       {
               g_Means <<-5      # check out ?"<<-"
       }

runit<-function()
       {
               defineSamples()
               g_Means #####<<This returns "numeric(0)", and not "5"
       }

runit()

A better way might be:  no side effects

defineSamples<- function()
       {
              5

       }

runit<-function()
       {
               defineSamples()

       }

runit()

On 4/1/07, projection83 <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> My R code has got too complex to have a non-modular approach. Ive done
> some
> coding in other languages before, but I somehow cant figure out R's
> general
> rules for global and local variables. I have put a simple code below, if
> anyone can show me what i need to add to make this work, i would greatly
> appreciate it!
>
> #----------------------------------------
> g_Means<-numeric()
>
> defineSamples<- function()
>        {
>                g_Means<-5
>        }
>
> runit<-function()
>        {
>                defineSamples()
>                g_Means #####<<This returns "numeric(0)", and not "5"
>        }
>
> runit()

Jim Holtman
Cincinnati, OH