On 03/01/2024 11:33 a.m., Josiah Parry wrote:
I have a scenario where I have an exported function that requires the
installation a package that *is not* available on CRAN. The body of the
function is generally:

fx <- function() {
   rlang::check_installed("noncranpkg")
   noncranpkg::gx()
}

As required, this package is in the Suggests field. But this results in a
note:

checking package dependencies ... NOTE
Package suggested but not available for checking: ‘noncranpkg’

Can this be safely ignored?

Uwe said yes, and he's an authority. But for your users, it might be nice to include an Additional_repositories field so they can find the package. This needs to be organized as an actual repository; the drat package is a very convenient way to set one up.

Duncan Murdoch