Software Heritage (see [1] for their website and [2] for a brief intro I gave
at useR! 2019 in Toulouse) covers GitHub and CRAN [3]. It is by now 'in
collaboration with UNESCO', supported by a long and posh list of sponsors [4]
and about as good as it gets to 'ensure longevity of artifacts'.

It is of course not meant for downloads during frequent builds.

But given the 'quasi-institutional nature' and sponsorship, we could think of
using GitHub as an 'active cache'. But CRAN is CRAN and as it now stands
GitHub is not trusted.  ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Dirk

[1] https://www.softwareheritage.org/
[2] https://dirk.eddelbuettel.com/papers/useR2019_swh_cran_talk.pdf