Den 2017-12-01 kl. 20:24, skrev Dirk Eddelbuettel:

On 1 December 2017 at 19:55, Göran Broström wrote:
| Hello,
|
| the following is a part of a question asked on R-help. I realized that
| it is better suited for asking here. Apologies for the cross-posting!
|
| I'm on Ubuntu artful, and upgraded with 'apt'. Then
|
| ----------------------------------------------------------------
| goran@M6800:~/src/R-3.4.3$ /usr/bin/R
| /usr/lib/R/bin/exec/R: symbol lookup error:
| /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libblas.so.3: undefined symbol: sgemv_thread_n
| ----------------------------------------------------------------
|
| Never seen this before. What can I do?

At home:

edd@bud:~$ COLUMNS=70 dpkg -l | grep blas
ii  libblas-common 3.7.0-1      amd64        Dependency package for all BLAS i
ii  libblas-dev    3.7.0-1      amd64        Basic Linear Algebra Subroutines
ii  libblas3       3.7.0-1      amd64        Basic Linear Algebra Reference im
ii  libopenblas-ba 0.2.19-2     amd64        Optimized BLAS (linear algebra) l
edd@bud:~$

At work:
........@.....:~$ COLUMNS=70 dpkg -l | grep blas
ii  libblas-common 3.7.0-1      amd64        Dependency package for all BLAS i
ii  libblas-dev    3.7.0-1      amd64        Basic Linear Algebra Subroutines
ii  libblas3       3.7.0-1      amd64        Basic Linear Algebra Reference im
ii  libcublas8.0:a 8.0.44-3     amd64        NVIDIA cuBLAS Library
ii  libnvblas8.0:a 8.0.44-3     amd64        NVBLAS runtime library
ii  libopenblas-ba 0.2.19-2     amd64        Optimized BLAS (linear algebra) l
ii  libopenblas-de 0.2.19-2     amd64        Optimized BLAS (linear algebra) l
........@.....:~$

In other words, I tend to use standard blas or openblas or atlas (but
seemingly less often).  Both are 17.04, but that doesn't matter as they both
have been updated regularly over the years.

You must have gotten out of whack between what compiled R, and what runs it.
Did you by chance compile R 3.4.3 locally?

Yes, first I installed R-3.4.3 from source and it started OK, but when I tried

> library(eha)

I got the error above.

So I installed by apt, and then I got the above.

This is what I always have done, installing both from source and the ubuntu versions via 'apt upgrade', and it has always worked without problems. What has changed now? And how can I get out of this?

Göran

Dirk