If your datasets are dataframes (or you could convet matrices to dataframes),
you can use

merge(x, y, by = "site")

if y sites are a subset of x that will work, but if there are some sites in y
that are not in x, then I think you would write

merge(x, y, by = "site", all = TRUE)

which will keep sites in y that are not in x, then you could just delete sites
not in x but in y