Here's one way.

# create matrices x and y with some sites in common
x <- matrix(1, 4, 2) ; rownames(x) <- letters[1:4]
y <- matrix(1, 4, 2) ; rownames(y) <- letters[3:6]

# identify which sites are in common for x and y
xcommon <- rownames(x) %in% rownames(y)
ycommon <- rownames(y) %in% rownames(x)

# create new x and y matrices with only sites shared
x2 <- x[xcommon, ]
y2 <- y[ycommon, ]

Cheers

Etienne