---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Manuel Spínola <mspinol...@gmail.com>
Date: 2012/3/11
Subject: Re: [R-sig-eco] Landscape ecology in R
To: Sarah Goslee <sarah.gos...@gmail.com>

Thank you Sarah and Stephen,

I am in contact with Paul Galpern who developed some tutorials on landscape
ecology in R (the ones that Stephen pointed out).  He told me that he plan
to release more in the following months. I offered him my contributions
because I have some r code to develop spatially explicit occupancy models
using landscape metrics, combining the raster, dismo and unmarked packages.
I know that Kevin McGarigal at U Mass has some R material too.

My idea with the message was to know if there is some tutorial on how to
use r because many tools on landscape ecology analysis are produced as
tools or extensions fro commercial software such as ArcView or ArcGis. Even
open source QGIS do not have a well developed landscape analysis tools for
landscape ecology, except the one developed for GRASS.

Is not a bad idea to develop R material for landscape ecology.  I know that
there are a lot of packages or tools that can do the job but I am thinking
on some good tutorials on how to combine those tools.  I am an advocate of
R and open source material and I am sure many in our list would like to use
as teaching material. I am teaching a course on wildlife habitat evaluation
(that include a lot of material on Landscape Ecology) and I am using R for
the labs.  The students really like to see all these analysis in R.

Best,

Manuel

--
*Manuel Spínola, Ph.D.*
Instituto Internacional en Conservación y Manejo de Vida Silvestre