Hi,

I am using the adonis function in the vegan package to determine effects of
different environmental factors in forest plant community composition in
different regions. I would like to first use adonis to remove the region
effect, this is, to fit a model like

adonis_region<- adonis(community ~ region,permutations=999,method="bray")

 Where community is a presence/absence data matrix of species in forest
patches belonging to different regions.

Then I would like to use the residuals of this model as the response
variable for some other analyses. I know I could use strata to model region
as a block variable, but this does not interest me, as afterwards I want to
perform another kind of analysis where I would like the region effect to be
removed.

My problem is that I cannot figure out how to get residual values from the
adonis model.

Any hint of some other kind of multivariate analysis that could solve this
problem is very welcome.

Thanks in advance,

--
Alicia Valdés